This post was inspired by my friend Matt Ross 🙂 Which goes to show, ask and you shall receive. If any of you have requests or ideas for posts please let me know, suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks Matt 🙂
So here is a list of Top Five Foods to avoid, why you should avoid them, and some suggestions on what to replace them with.
- SODA- This is probably one of the worst things you can ingest. This product is nothing but chemicals and harmful sugars. It will upset the body’s natural pH, deplete your body of calcium and other vital alkaline minerals. Whether you’re drinking diet or regular these drinks will make you fat due to it’s acidic nature. This is because the body will produce fat to keep the acidity of the soda away from your vital organs. You can read my posts on sugars and soda if you want more information. Some substitutes could be Kombucha, which is fermented mushroom tea. They come in many flavors and are naturally bubbly. These great teas are like getting a shot of B vitamins, even B12, which is great for all vegheads. I would also recommend seltzer water accompanied with pure juice (meaning juice with no sugars, HFCS or additives) or some freshly squeezed lemon.
- Whole Wheat Bread- So this is a tricky one. Yes, whole wheat is better than white, but most whole wheat breads have enriched white flour in them anyways, as well as high fructose corn syrup, natural flavors and tons of additives. Bread used to have four ingredients, flour, yeast, salt and water, compare this to the bread sitting on your counter now. The wheat that is commercially grown is one of our cash crops, making it the most tampered with and full of pesticides. “Tampered with” I mean GMOs, genetically modified foods, which many people believe is what is causing the rise in coeliac disease (a gluten intolerance). In addition to this if the wheat is processed too much it can behave similarly to white flour, causing an abrupt rise in insulin levels, energy spikes, and hunger. Ideally I’d recommend Ezekial bread or any other bread with sprouted grains. Ezekial has several different varieties including seven grain and cinnamon raisin.
- White Rice- This product is stripped of it’s natural fibers and vitamins, making it nutritionally deficient. Companies, like Uncle Ben’s, add back in the vitamins that were stripped in the refining process. It has been proven time and time again, that enriching these products do not have the same effect as eating the whole grains. The synergy in whole grains can’t be explained by science, but we have trusted it for thousands of years. Only recently have we been trying to modify foods and as a nation we are becoming increasingly lethargic, obese, and disease ridden. I would recommend always eating brown rice over white rice, any brand is fine. One more reason for always eating brown rice over white, if you put brown rice in a cup of water over a couple of days it will sprout, if you put white rice in a cup of water over a few days it will rot. Which would you rather have in your body?
- Canned Soup- Most of us think of soup as a comfort food, something to make us feel better when we are sick. Although, these days canned soups are filled with scary ingredients. Some contain MSG (monosodium glutamate), HFCS, natural flavors, hydrogenated fats and other scary ingredients. It also creeps me out that this “food” can last so long. That probably is because there is little food left in those cans. So my suggestion would be to buy the brand Imagine or Pacific Sun soups, which have whole ingredients and no additives. These soups actually expire within the year you buy them. Don’t be surprised when you see the price, yes you are going to pay more. But, you are actually paying for FOOD not inexpensive flavorings and additives that are used in place of food. I think most people intend to buy food when they are grocery shopping, and chemicals are less expensive. You can think of it this way, the more you feed your body whole natural foods, the less it will crave vitamins and minerals. A big selling point on these nutritionally deficient foods, like canned soups, is that they don’t actually satisfy the body’s need for food. This leaves our nation overfed and undernourished, which is a crappy feeling. So if you want to feel satisfied go the extra mile and spend the extra few dollars.
- Gatorade – Claims to be the best way to hydrate yourself…hydrate yourself with water, HFCS and added electrolytes? Sugar and water, with some dye….you could probably do that yourself at home. A wonderful way to actually hydrate yourself with naturally occuring electrolytes is to drink some coconut water. These electrolytes will be more easily recognized and absorbed by the body than isolated form found in Gatorade. Plus there are no added sugars or flavors in coconut water 🙂
When you ingest acidic, sugary, nutrient deficient foods your body has to work extra hard to flush these harmful things out in addition to the fact that you’re not getting the vitamins your body actually needs. So be kind to yourself, feed yourself food, if you need more suggestions or have more questions please ask 🙂