I enjoy smoothies, but in the cold winter months I typically don’t eat them. However, with the warmth of summer returning I have added them back into my diet.
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup mango (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp. coconut butter
Throw all the ingredients in the blender and you’ll have a delicious tropical tasting smoothie. It may look green, but it doesn’t taste green.
Currently my basic rule of thumb with smoothies is:
- 1 cup some type of milk (almond, soy, hemp, rice…)
- 1 cup spinach (you can even throw in romaine, kale, any leafy green)
- 1 cup tart fruit (any berry because they are lower in sugar)
- 1 cup sweet fruit (it’s better to use fruit to sweeten your smoothie rather than added sugar because at least you’ll be getting some nutrients, you can use mango, pineapple, dates, or banana)
- 2 tbsp healthy fats (coconut butter is sweet tasting, you can also use almond, peanut, or cashew butter, you can also throw in hemp seeds, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, but they tend to give a bitter taste, either way you’ll be giving your body some healthy fats)